Saturday, September 15, 2012

NETS-T Standards

I have recently read the NETS-T Standards and I am beginning to learn how to use them and relate them to the classroom. The second standard is to design and develop digital-age learning experiences and assessments. Standard 2c states, "Customize and personalize learning activities to address students' diverse learning styles, working strategies, and abilities using digital tools and resources." I feel strongly about this standard because I have realized that every student learns differently, and it is important that teachers embrace different learning styles.

This standard can be used through an assignment that gives students individual choices of how they would like to complete it. For example, students would all be assigned a general project but decide which way they want to do it. The project could be something where the student is given a choice to either write a story, make a video, make a power point, create a website or blog, or use photography.
 
The article Grow Creativity  discusses creativity and originality in schools. After reading this article I can see how it relates to the standard I chose because the project I would have students do completely brings out originality in each of the students. They are able to express themselves through originality. 

Another article I found that discusses the standard I chose is What Works in K-12 Online Learning . This article talks about how students learn differently. It stresses that there should be multiple ways in which content is presented, multiple ways for student expression, and multiple ways to gain student interest.


-->

4 comments:

  1. I agree with you that every students learns in their own way and that it is important for us as future teachers to figure out new and creative ways to help each student out. I think that having the students make a video or power point would be a great way to meet the NETS-T standard by letting them pick which tool they feel comfortable with and what interests them. Your post is clear and easy to follow. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Valeria

    I like your post. It was very nice for you to include the hyperlink on the posting. I think in the future, computers, ipod would be the norm in the classrooms not the exception. I think is important for schools and teachers to have that flexibility on how they present the material. Unfortunately, currently only a very few public school have the opportunity and resources to use those tools effectively.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First off nice job with the hyperlinks those are so hard to do. I like how you talked about giving an assignment but giving different ways the students can complete it, like a video or power point or however they learn the best. I really enjoyed reading the articles you have posted!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Valerie, I like your identification that students learn in different ways. In this, if they can be allowed to accomplish the same task in different ways and approach them from a point of strength, this could also serve to maintain their focus and interest throughout the completion of tasks. As I see it, with the inclusion of more technology, students throughout all grade levels will be afforded more ways to show they are grasping content and can make application of it. Michael

    ReplyDelete