Saturday, September 15, 2012

Blog On!

The article "Blog On: Building Communication and Collaboration among Staff and Students" is by Catherine Poling, an assistant principal in Maryland who was an elementary school teacher for eight years. The main point of the article is how blogging is a very beneficial tool used between students and teachers. It is used to keep communication and collaboration between the students and the teachers. Students use these blogs to submit journal entry assignments and discuss it with their other classmates. They question each others thinking to create more responses and classroom interaction. The article also discusses blogs being used between the staff so that they can keep in communication with each other as well.

I think this article is very significant because blogging is a new form of communication that has started in recent years. When I was a child we did not have blogging available to us. I think it would have been a good way do assignments in school, and I would have enjoyed it. I learned of the different forms of communication a blog can be used for in education. If I had to ask for further explanation on something I would like to know if it is required for all students at this school in Maryland to make a personal blog. I could see a problem occurring with some parents not feeling comfortable having their child create a blog.

After reading this article I would like to use this blogging system in my classroom someday. After creating my very first blog yesterday, I realized what a great tool they are in the classroom. It is a great way of communication. Students are also able to personalize their blog. This is important because students need to have some type of choice of their own that shows their personality and individuality.



Catherine, P. (2005). Blog on. Building Communication and Collaboration among Staff and Students, 32(6), 12-15.

3 comments:

  1. Valerie,

    What's even better than being able to blog for a class when you were a kid? Being able to blog for a class in college!

    You are the second person to have stated how blogs allow for students' individuality, and that's true. I can see that demonstrated in the templates and backgrounds which you and other classmates have chosen for your blogs, so it's easy to envision K-12 students doing similar things.

    The privacy issue you raise is an important one, not to be taken lightly. There is no perfect answer for it, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valerie,

    It is crazy to see how far technology has come these days. When I was in elementary school I do not even think that blogging was around. I do not know if I would use blogging as a teacher but it is for sure something that I would think about.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that blogging encourages people to read and write and that's always a good thing. I think it is good that future teachers are willing to use all available tools.

    ReplyDelete