Saturday, November 10, 2012

Migrant ESL



What: I chose to read the article, Migrant ESL: High School Students Succeed Using Networked Laptops, by Carolyn Knox and Lynne Anderson-Inman. Both of the authors have interests in technology and have researched classroom diversity or ESL students. This article discusses how ESL students can use technology as extra help in the classroom. ESL students may need to use extra tools to understand content they are learning in the classroom.

So What: This article is very important because there are so many ESL students that may need this extra help to learn in the classroom. These students are able to have other students be note takers for them, and help their learning abilities. I learned that there is a significant increase in learning and understand when an ESL student has a note taker. I feel that this is great for ESL students because everyone deserves equal opportunities in learning.

Now What: This article definitely applies to me because I want to be a teacher in Southern California. This area in particular has a lot of ESL students, and I will need to know how to approach teaching them. It is important that all of my future students receive the same opportunities to learn. I like the idea of having a note taker present to help these ESL students and to be a positive role model in their lives. I will definitely take this article into account when I am a teacher someday.



Knox, C., & Anderson-Inman, L. (2001). Migrant esl: High school students succeed using networked laptops. Learning & Leading with Technology, 28(5), 18-53.

5 comments:

  1. I totally agree that as teachers we are here to give each student the equal opportunity to learn. I did not read this article but I did like the thought of having a note taker present to help ESL students more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Valerie, I, too, hope to teach in Southern California and have already come across substitute positions where more than half the class were Spanish speakers. It is so important that we, as future teachers, know what great resources are available to us to help these ESL students achieve success in the classroom. I know I will always ask for this type of software to be available in my classroom. Since I don't speak Spanish, communicating with these ESL students has been hard for me, but now that I know that this resource is available, I will be sure to use it.;

    ReplyDelete
  3. Valerie,
    I agree there are so many ESL students in Southern California so this article is of great help to all teachers in this area. I too agree that these students deserve the same amount of help that we give other students. It may take them longer to understand it but they are trying and they need extra help since not only are they learning grade appropriate material but they are also learning another language. The concept of note taking for these students is wonderful. I am a note taker for a friend of one with a learning disability and she always thanks me and reminds me how much I am really helping her while to me I am just doing my normal routine and giving her copies of my notes. This article seems like a good read and I would like to learn more about how the software works.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot agree with you more about teaching in Southern California. We will encounter many students who are ESL and I believe that this article gives us a great insight into how we can better help our students. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Even as a soon to be physical education teacher I could see this article being of use because of the many ESL students that we have in southern California. Since I don't speak Spanish all to well, I could see this sort of program being of use to me in the classroom. Although, I still think that I should probably learn some more Spanish if I plan on teaching in California. Good post!

    ReplyDelete